We all want to move forward and make progress, yet many of us are holding on to things that are holding us back without realizing it. We want this series to help students identify the weights and burdens they are carrying and encourage them to let go in order to grow. The new year makes us think about what we need to start doing, but what if we need to stop doing something instead. For the next four weeks, we’re going to discover what we’re holding on to and what has hindered us from moving forward.
Week 1: January 3rd
Bottom Line: In order to move forward, we have to leave some things behind.
Scripture: Hebrews 12:1-3
- To make this year better than last year, what needs to change?
- Do you think that you are a different person than you were this time last year? What is something that shaped how you changed in the last year?
- Of the things that need to change in order to make this year better than last year, how many are out of your control? How many are totally up to you?
Week 2: January 10th
Bottom Line: The only one able to label us is the one who created us.
Scripture: 1 Peter 2:9
- What labels have your friends, classmates, or teammates given you? What labels has the world given you?
- According to 1 Peter 2:9, what labels has God given you?
- How can we remind ourselves to see others the way that God sees them? How can we remind ourselves to see ourselves the way that God sese us?
Week 3: January 17th
Bottom Line: When you hold on to it, it holds on to you.
Scripture: Romans 12:17-18
- Have you ever held a grudge for so long that you forgot why you were holding that grudge to begin with?
- What is the difference between remembering a disagreement with someone and holding a grudge?
- Is there anyone in your life you need to live at peace with as far as it depends on you?
Week 4: January 24th
Bottom Line: As soon as you go back, you’ll stop moving forward.
- What do you think are the main things that middle schoolers think are better than following Jesus?
- Look at the scripture passage again, the word “follow” is used three times. Anytime somethings is repeated, it is often important. What does it mean to follow Jesus at your school?
- What would make you better at following Jesus this week?